ECA Update: Perry's Energy nomination advanced by committee

Published: Tue, 01/31/17

ECA Update: January 31, 2017
 
 
Meeting the New Administration:
Addressing Priorities and Securing Progress
The Liaison Capitol Hill Hotel
415 New Jersey Avenue, NW
Washington, DC


Register today for the first national meeting with the new Administration focusing on the DOE Offices of Environmental Management and Nuclear Energy, and the National Nuclear Security Administration. Hear from DOE officials, key Congressional staff, and other DC insiders. 

 
DOE/NNSA LEADERSHIP 
Perry’s Energy nomination advanced by committee
The Hill
January 31, 2017
A Senate panel on Tuesday signed off on former Republican Texas Gov. Rick Perry’s nomination to lead the Department of Energy. 
 
The Energy and Natural Resources Committee voted 17-6 to approve Perry’s nomination, sending it to the full Senate.
 
During his confirmation hearing earlier this month, Perry was forced to walk back his infamous pledge, from his 2011 presidential run, to abolish the Energy Department if he had been elected. 
 
Instead, he said, he understands and respects the agency’s mission, which focuses on the country’s nuclear arsenal and research activities that span across industries.  
>>Continue reading
 
Klotz Stays as NNSA Director, But Deputy Is Out
Defense News 
January 24, 2017
WASHINGTON –  National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) head Frank Klotz will be staying for the foreseeable future, but deputy director Madelyn Creedon is no longer with the agency. 

The decision to keep Klotz in place followed two weeks of concerns from the nuclear community that he might be forced out by the Trump administration with no replacement in sight. 


The NNSA is a semi-autonomous department within the Department of Energy. While the Defense Department manages the delivery systems of the nuclear force — ships, planes and missiles — NNSA has oversight over the development, maintenance and disposal of nuclear warheads. .  
>>Continue reading
 
WASTE STORAGE & DISPOSITION 
Judge May Delay Nuclear Waste Shipments Through WNC
HCPress
January 24, 2017
The federal government’s plan to transport weapons-grade liquid nuclear waste through Western North Carolina may be on hold once a Washington, D.C., judge rules on a lawsuit from several regional environmental groups.

The parties to the lawsuit argued that the Department of Energy violated the National Environmental Policy Act by planning to transport nuclear waste in relative secrecy. The plaintiffs also accuse the government of justifying its proposal with a cursory and insufficient environmental impact study, based on outdated research.


Opponents of the shipments said this would be the first time that weapons-grade highly enriched uranium in a liquid form has been transported in this way.


They warn that the government’s containers for the waste are untested and dangerous. The containers have only previously transported solid nuclear waste.  
>>Continue reading
 
WIPP still has 10 DOE review items to tackle
Current Argus
January 26, 2017
During a final review of the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant last month, the Department of Energy team identified 36 findings that required correction at the facility.

Of those, 15 were deemed to be "post-start" findings, meaning they could be addressed after operations resumed at the underground nuclear waste repository.


The other 21 findings that were deemed "pre-start" or dealing with worker safety were resolved before WIPP restarted operations.
Since reopening earlier this month, five of the post-start findings have been corrected at the WIPP site.


"Corrective action plans have been developed for each of the post-start findings and most of the plans are expected to be implemented, validated and closed within the first couple of months of 2017," said a Department of Energy Carlsbad Field Office spokesperson.  
>>Continue reading
 
NEW NUCLEAR
Nuclear power an option for Los Alamos County?
Albuquerque Journal
January 27 2017
SANTA FE, N.M. — Los Alamos is considering the nuclear option.
This time, it’s not about bombs. Los Alamos County is part of a group investing in potential development of small-scale nuclear power as one alternative for meeting future energy needs for the county and its biggest power customer, Los Alamos National Laboratory.

The “small modular reactor,” or SMR, facility by NuScale Power of Portland, Ore., would be located a long way from Los Alamos, at the Idaho National Laboratory.

But a projected 16 megawatts of power – half for the county, half for the lab – would be delivered via the grid from what the county is calling its “carbon-free power project.”  >>Continue reading
 
New technique for safer nuclear fuel, waste management 
Business Standard 
January 29, 2017
Scientists have developed a new technique to extract uranium more safely and efficiently, an advance that may lead to cleaner nuclear fuel and better waste treatment. 

Researchers at Oregon State University (OSU) in the US uses soap-like chemicals known as surfactants to extract uranium from an aqueous solution into a kerosene solution in the form of hollow clusters.  >>Continue reading
 
CONTRACTING & ACQUISITION 
DOE Releases Draft Request for Proposal for Moab UMTRA Technical Assistance Contract (TAC) Procurement
DOE-EM
January 26, 2017
Cincinnati -- The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Environmental Management Consolidated Business Center (EMCBC) today issued a Final Request for Proposal (RFP) for the Moab Uranium Mill Tailings Remedial Action (UMTRA) Technical Assistance Contract (TAC), in Moab, Utah. An Indefinite-Delivery Indefinite-Quantity (IDIQ) contract, utilizing Firm-Fixed-Price (FFP) and Time-and-Material task orders, is anticipated. The Final RFP is established as a total U.S. Small Business Administration’s 8(a) Business Development Program set-aside with a five year ordering period. The current Moab UMTRA TAC is held by S&K Logistics Services, LLC and will expire on June 19, 2017.  >>Continue reading
 
NNSA Issues Honeywell Subsidiary Notice to Proceed for Sandia Labs Mgmt Transition
GovConWire
January 26, 2017
A subsidiary of Honeywell International (NYSE: HON) has received a notice to proceed from the National Nuclear Security Administration to start the transition efforts for the operation and management of Sandia National Laboratories.

National Technology & Engineering Solutions of Sandia will assume management responsibilities at SNL on May 1 with Northrop Grumman (NYSE: NOC), Universities Research Association, Sandia Technical Partners and Longenecker & Associates as subcontractors, NTESS said Wednesday.
  
>>Continue reading
UPCOMING EVENTS
February 2017
8-9
The Advanced Reactors Technical Summit IV & Technology Trailblazers Showcase
Argonne, IL
 
More info here
 
February 2017
23-24
ECA Event:
Meeting the New Administration: Addressing Priorities and Securing Progress
Washington, DC
 
Register here
 
March 2017
5-9
Waste Management Conference
Phoenix, AZ

More info here
 
May/June 2017
31-1
INVITATION ONLY
 
ECA Peer Exchange: 
Manhattan Project National Historical Park Implementation
Richland, WA
 
September 2017
13-14
2017 National Cleanup Workshop
Alexandria, VA

More info here
 
SUBSCRIBE
Visit energyca.org to sign up for the ECA Update

Find the most recent ECA Bulletin here
 
FOLLOW US
 
Energy Communities Alliance,
1625 Eye Street, NW | Suite 800 | Washington, DC 20006
p 202.828.2317 | f 202.828.2488